
I spent from 8:30 to 4:30 working on the backyard - annual fall cleanup. I'm pretty sure the garbage men dread the week I set the trash out. This is a combination of apple tree, crab apple tree, garden, boxwood, and magnolia trimmings.

The squirrels are also getting ready for the winter. This is a picture of a squirrel next in the ash tree in the front. Yesterday, while I was working, I could hear and see the squirrels moving all over the maple tree. I think it was wishing I would go inside the house so that it could harvest some more food. It didn't dare come off the tree while I was working.

I have a "thing" about trees. I like to be able to walk under them and not have the branches knocking my head. As you know, the crab apple tree in the back was pretty full and had lots of low branches that were offending me. Becky had taken Tom to the store to buy some well-deserved shoes and clothes. This left the crab tree defenseless. I remembered that when you prune you are not supposed to leave any crossing branches. I also wanted to remove the offending low branches. And finally, I needed to get the tree off the roof of the house. As you can see, I accomplished my finish. Becky said we'll probably have the take the tree out anyway.

From this next photo you can see that I completely removed all the boxwood plants, except the root ball. These were completely overgrown and overwhelming that area. They needed to come out anyway to make room for the window well project. Per Becky's request, I also topped the magnolia bush. Believe it or not, I discovered there was a house behind the greenery!
No comments:
Post a Comment